Being featured as a contributor to major media outlets is a great way to get more visibility, it can lead to interesting new opportunities and you can actually get paid for it, as well.
Olga Mecking’s writing has featured in multiple media, including The New York Times, which led to her being offered a book deal. In this episode, she shares with you what has worked for her and her tips to effectively pitch the media.
Four years prior to this interview, Olga was interviewed on the podcast show when she was just starting to write as a blogger. To get the full picture of her inspiring journey, you can listen to her first interview here.
“Big media are always looking for writers, don’t hesitate to simply reach out!”
Olga Mecking comes from Poland, the first time she moved abroad was to Canada where she joined her German boyfriend at the time. They then moved together to Germany. A marriage and three kids later, she now lives with her family in The Netherlands.
Her journey started when she decided to write and blog to share her journey in parenting abroad. She shared the first part of her journey in episode 45.
Olga Mecking is a writer and journalist. Her articles were published on BBC, The Guardian, The Washington Post, New York Magazine, The Pacific Standard, The Atlantic’s CityLab, Quartz, Yes! Magazine, and many others. She is also the author of Niksen, the Dutch Art of Doing Nothing.
What You Will Learn
- How to find editors to pitch your articles to
- How to pitch your story to editors
- How to write compelling articles
Resources And Inspiration:
- Listen to Olga’s first interview on Tandem Nomads
- Opportunities of the Week Newsletter
- 3 pitches that worked
- Read Olga’s book ‘Niksen: Embracing the Dutch Art of Doing Nothing’. It is also available for pre-order for readers in the US on Amazon.com and in Dutch, via bol.com.
Find Olga online
- Join Olga’s facebook group here: The Kikseneers – People who love doing noting
Share Your Love!
Share Your Thoughts!
Connect with the Tandem Nomads community and share your comments!