TN253: Breaking the glass ceiling without being broken
Most women are full or part-time caregivers. Their free labor allows organizations and businesses to be more effective, create value and increase profit. Financial vulnerability and dependence should not be their reward.
If you want to grow your business or take it to the next level but struggle to do so because you are a mother or a caregiver, and that prevents you in various ways from creating your own source of revenue, know that this challenge is part of a much bigger problem in our society.
However, there are things you can do about it at your own micro level to feel more empowered in your entrepreneurial journey.
“It is not only time for unpaid work to be recognized in our society, but also for players at all the levels of our society to share the ‘caring’ burden so that women can have the bandwidth to achieve their own dreams, create their own financial freedom and break the glass ceiling.”
In this episode, I want to share with you my take on this challenge and some inspiration to help you not only have the bandwidth to take your business seriously, but also be part of a movement to break the glass ceiling for women, without being broken.
What you will learn:
- How I see this societal issue play out in the day-to-day life of women who want to grow a successful portable business while being present for their loved ones
- What conversation you can have with yourself to make your business a priority
- What conversation you can have with your family to make yourself a priority
Resources and inspiration:
- Find out more about The Equal Care Day
- Read the article: Household work would make up 30-50% of GDP—if it were included
- The OECD Development Centre: Unpaid Care Work: The missing link in the analysis of gender gaps in labour outcomes
- The World Bank: This is how COVID-19 has affected women’s employment
- Susan Hyatt’s IG posts:
- The book: Boundary Boss: The Essential Guide to Talk True, Be Seen, and (Finally) Live Free
- Learn more about the nonviolent communication method
Share Your Love!
Do you enjoy listening to this podcast show? Leave your review on your favorite app – iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play
Share Your Thoughts!
Connect with the Tandem Nomads community and share your comments!